It’s freezing outside. Literally, it’s was barely 2 degrees out when I got up this morning to take Millie in for a follow up vet appointment. That was a very cold car ride. But it is that time of the year I suppose. The cold and holiday’s also mean that it’s time for us to get ready for our annual Family Vacation Christmas Party so I spent the early afternoon running errands to get everything we need for that. Josiah has hosted one of these parties every year since quite awhile before I ever came around, and it’s a tradition we plan on keeping for years to come.
When I got home though I was so hungry. I can’t be the only one who is always ready for food after they get home from the grocery. I love acorn squash and in less than 15min had a hot lunch ready to go because I was too impatient to oven bake my squash and instead popped it in the microwave. (i know, i know…the microwave…)
The timing of how long your squash will have to cook in the microwave will vary depending on the size of the squash. I normally get a tiny little one for myself that’s just about a pound. This would also be very easy to make vegan just by switching out the butter for whatever substitute you prefer.
The amount of each ingredient is also up to you, you can make it as sweet as you’d like. Also if there’s something you don’t like or don’t have on hand no worries-it’ll still taste great. Also if you’re feeling daring add the smallest pinch of salt. So good.
Also. This is not a very healthy lunch, but it is delish. Can’t say I didn’t warn you…
Real Maple Syrup
- Poke a few holes into the squash with a knife, then microwave on a plate for 6min. It will whistle but it’s just steam, that’s why you poked the holes into it. When it’s soft to the touch remove from the microwave, cut in half and remove seeds.
- Put a small pat of butter in each one. About 1/4-1/8 of a teaspoon of butter.
- Add a small spoonful of brown sugar.
- Drizzle a very small amount of maple syrup over it.
- Toss some pecans over top.